Sunday, September 15, 2013

Jane Dough's Bikini Bagel with Fig Pesto

 
 
Recently, I was on a bit of a get-away at the beach... and my favorite "Hippy Hangout" for Breakfast / Brunch serves a bagel that I just love! It is Sweet & Savory and chock full of fresh Fruit and Vegetable! So, I decided to try to re-create it in some fashion, at home.
 
 
Called the Bikini Bagel... it is a toasted Cinnamon Raisin bagel filled with Fig Pesto ( See my recipe below) , Tomato, Avocado, Cooked Turkey Sausage ( I use Whole Foods Hot Louisiana Turkey Sausage for an added layer of flavor- lightly hickory smoked & spicy; I pan seared mine, then thinly sliced to allow for easy layering on the Bagel ) , and I topped the Bagel off with Sweet Clover sprouts. ( For those of you 'States'-side... spare your Chia Pets :P )   
 
To make the Fig Pesto:
 
In a small Food processor, place 6-8 Black Mission Figs, stems removed and sliced into quarters.
To this, add in about 1/4 cup of lightly chopped Black Walnuts, 1/4 tsp. Basil, and 1/4 tsp. Thyme. Slowly drizzle in enough Olive Oil, as you food process, to allow the mixture to form a Pesto that can be spread on a Bagel. This is a Sweet & Savory Pesto w/ a nice herbaceous undertone. I wanted the dominant flavor of my Pesto to be the Figs.. since this is... well, ...Fig Pesto.
 
 
Once you have spread the Pesto on the toasted Bagel... just simply layer on the rest of the ingredients.
 Happy Weekend Breakfast/ Brunching!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails