Sunday, August 18, 2013

Jane Dough's Strawberry Kamut Bread



This weekend, I had fresh Strawberries on hand, and decided to bake a loaf of Breakfast Bread. I found a recipe for Strawberry Bread and in usual fashion... the proverbial wheels began turning in my head ( I know scary, yes?! :P ) I began to think about how I could switch out ingredients to make the bread more healthful.  So with that said, the following is what I came up with... and I must say, I was very pleased with the outcome... lovely bits of Strawberry throughout a bread bursting with the buttery, nutty texture of Kamut and sweetened with Almonds. I often toss in Kamut when I am baking loaves of bread... and so, I thought why not give it a go in this application. Kamut, otherwise known as Khorasan Wheat or by legend, King Tut's Wheat is a coarse, nutty flavored grain. It's exact origins are unknown, but historically it has been linked to Egypt. It is quite high in Protein and also serves as a good source of minerals Selenium, Zinc and Magnesium. It is considered a high energy wheat. And THAT I can attest to.... I worked out at the gym after breakfast... and burned over 700 calories! You can find Kamut at your local health food store or sometimes it can be found at more upscale groceries like Whole Foods. I buy Bob's Red Mill Organic variety. Bob's Red Mill also has a presence online, so you can shop there as well.
                                                                                           
1/2 Cup Kamut
1/2 Cup Soy Milk ( you can use regular Milk if you wish, I would recommend low-fat 1% as a substitute)
1 1/2 Cups Fresh Strawberries, finely chopped
1/2 Cup Butter, softened ( yes I use REAL butter :P I have picture perfect Triglyceride, Cholesterol and HDL levels- it CAN be done! :) )
1/2 Cup Stevia ( a favorite of mine for cutting calories with a natural sweetener)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar 
2 Eggs
1 Tsp. Almond Extract
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
Slivered Almonds , for garnish

Begin by soaking the 1/2 Cup of Kamut in 1/2 Cup of Soy Milk. This allows the coarse wheat grain to soften a bit. Preheat your oven to 350 '.


Meanwhile, finely chop 1 1/2 Cups of Fresh Strawberries. I put the berries in a little electric chopper to achieve tiny bits of berry.


In a large mixing bowl, combine the Butter, Stevia, Brown Sugar, Eggs, Almond Extract, Baking Powder and Baking Soda and whip/ beat until creamy. Then add the Milk/ Kamut mixture. Beat through. Add in the chopped Strawberries. Mix through. Finally, add the flour and finish beating until a thick batter forms, as shown.


Affirm with your 'fuzzy kitchen assistant' that you have done a good job of mixing, as shown above :P

Grease and flour a loaf pan and place the batter in the pan. Garnish with slivered Almonds.



Bake until Golden Brown and a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean. With my oven, it took about 50 minutes to bake.

Let the loaf cool ...
 
Once cooled you can either dust with Confectioner's Sugar or make a light Glaze to drizzle, if desired....
 
 
u Hard to believe this is chock full of Fruit and Whole Grain... have at it!! :)


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails