Monday, March 4, 2013

Jane Dough's Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie




I'm basically blogging my recipe for this pie... so that I don't forget what I did.... this is probably the best Rhubarb pie I have ever had.... I got it right on my first attempt... somehow.... I hope you give it a try...  I managed, at least for my tastes, to balance the sweetness of the sugar with the tartness of the Rhubarb... just the right amount ...

For the Crust:

3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Butter Shortening
Approx. 10 tblsp. cold water ( you might use more or less, you do not want your dough to be sticky)

With a fork, cut butter into the flour until blended to consistency of small peas.  Then, sprinkle in cold water until pie dough is moist and firm enough to form two equal sized balls of dough. Flour wax paper and with a rolling pin, roll out 1 ball of the pie dough to fit into a 9 inch pie dish.

For the filling:

Finely chopped Rhubarb
De-stemmed and quartered Strawberries
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Corn Starch
1 tblsp. Cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine and toss the filling ingredients. Place the filling into the unbaked pie shell.

With a rolling pin, roll out the second ball of pie dough and cut vertically into strips of dough, with a pastry cutter or knife. 
 
Weave the strips of dough over the filling and tuck the ends of the dough as shown. I had a little extra dough, and embellished my pie with a little bird. :) I lightly sprinkled Turbinado Sugar on the crust.
 
Bake at 350' until the filling is bubbly and the crust bakes lightly golden, as in my opening photo. Enjoy!
 
 
 

1 comment:

Aquarian Bath said...

Looks incredible! Drool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails