Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jane Dough's Focaccia Foray / With a Little Help From a Friend

 
This weekend I slow cooked Smoky Split Pea Soup.  A little Onion, a little Garlic, Bacon and  I puree it once it is cooked to perfection, for a lovely silky bowl of soup :)
I was looking for something to have on the side with it... Something substantive to go with a light soup  ... I thought about how I like to have trendy Focaccia when I go out to lunch for Soup and Salad. So, I thought it would be fun to make my first foray into making my own Focaccia. I tackled it head on with a little help from my 'Catchen' Superintendent! Here's what I ... ehhmm.. we did ...
 
1 Pkg. Dry Quick Rise Yeast
1 Cup Warm Water
1 tsp. Honey
2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour, plus approx. 1/4 cup Flour for kneading
1/4 Cup Olive Oil, plus enough Olive Oil for drizzling
1 small onion, finely sliced
1/2 Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes, sliced
2-3 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary ( I harvested right from my Garden)
1/3 cup Asiago Cheese, finely grated
Sprinkle sea salt to taste
 

 In a Medium Bowl stir together water, yeast and honey. Let rest until the yeast starts to bubble. Approx. 10 min.


















Stir in Flour and 1/4 Cup Olive Oil.



Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead until dough is smooth, 5 to 10 minutes.

Keep your 'Catchen' Superintendent abreast of your progress...





as he/ she.... will be waiting for their cut, when the Focaccia is baked ...









Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let rest in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.




 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Remove dough from bowl and press it into a lightly oiled 10 by 15 inch baking sheet ( you can use a 9 by 13 inch sheet, I just like my Focaccia to be a little more slender when sliced) until it touches the edges of the sheet.

Using your finger, poke indentations all over the dough. Drizzle the dough with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Let rest until the dough becomes puffy, about 20 minutes.





Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the finely sliced onion and sauté until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Let slightly cool.

 
Once your dough is puffy in the pan (slightly risen) , top it with the Carmelized Onions, Rosemary, Asiago Cheese, and sprinkle salt to taste. Drizzle with 2 Tablespoons Olive oil.













 Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the Sun-dried Tomatoes.
Return to the oven and continue baking until the Focaccia is golden brown, about another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack. Cut into slices and serve.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails