Sunday, December 2, 2012

Jane Dough's Spicey Apple Cake




I LOVE Apples year round, but particularly in Autumn ... I think it's because they conjure up memories of my Grandparent's big 'ol Apple tree. I remember watching and sometimes helping my Gram bake Apple Pies, make Apple Jelly and Apple Butter from the abundance of apples that would fall from the tree every year. And fondly, that apple tree was a huge part of playing outdoors and served as our shade and played a role in our childhood games. My Grandpa and I would sit on a swing in the evening underneath that tree, and he would tell me 'old-timer stories'. I cherish those memories to this day. This is a recipe I came up with recently ... it's spicey and chock full of juicy chunks of apple. It's an Apple Cake that just happens to have cake around the Apples... it's THAT Apple-y :D BTW, If you have a big family, this recipe can be easily doubled for a bigger cake. I make mine small, to save me from myself... yeah right... :P Haa..... Enjoy!

Spicey Apple Cake


3 cups chopped peeled Apples (3 medium) ( I like to use Fuji for baking. This go around, I had Fuji & Granny Smith, so I chopped up both)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg               
1/4 teaspoon ground Cloves
1 cups packed Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1 Egg
1/2 cup Milk ( You don't HAVE to , but I always use 1%)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla



Combine all ingredients, except the apples. Hand mix until your batter is smooth. Fold in the Apples.
Drop into either a greased Springform pan or you can use a greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350' until cake rises golden and a toothpick comes out of the cake clean. ( you know the old toothpick test? :) stick the pick into the cake... if it comes out clean...the cake is baked)

2 comments:

Kerri said...

OH Yum!!

PS - you may want to take off word verification since you have comment moderation on already.
It is VERY hard to get those numbers and letters correct :)

lynsey said...

Ooh this looks so tasty, I'll have to make a small one for myself as my other half doesn't like apples! Imagine that!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails