Monday, August 27, 2012

What Would Happen If... As a Side Dish

 
I went back into 'What would happen if' mode again in my kitchen, and decided to try out a new variety of Quinoa I had purchased,  Red Inca Pasankalla. I was planning to make Tilapia for dinner and wanted a different, interesting side dish that would go really well with Fish or Seafood.  I love the versatility of Quinoa and played around with a few additives that turned out to be really enjoyable. The result was not too much 'heat' from the spice and not too much 'tang' from the Lime. A nice balance. The following is my recipe for Spicy Tangy ' Walk The Plank' Quinoa.
 
1 Cup Inca Red Pasankalla Quinoa
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
1/2 Cup Black Beans, rinsed
1/2 Cup Corn ( I cut mine fresh from the cob)
1/2 tsp. Cilantro
2 tblsp. Roses' Sweet Lime Juice
I microplane 1 tsp. of Lime Rind
1/4 tsp. Chipotle Seasoning
 
Combine ingredients in a saucepan and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, stovetop,  until Quinoa absorbs all of the liquid. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Quinoa dates back to the Ancient Incan Civilization ( their Mother Grain)  and thankfully remains today as a wonderful source of protein. It actually has 9 essential Amino acids, and therefore is a complete protein. As I said, I love the versatility... it can be made sweet for breakfast, sweet and savory or spicy for lunch/ dinner. So much you can do with it. It is just begging to be played with in the kitchen! So get going... get your protein in your diet the fun way.. and check out Quinoa.  
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails