Monday, April 2, 2012

Savory Quinoa Pilaf


Those who have followed me for some time now, know that my Kitchen is my playground. I love to cook and bake.  Taking random ingredients and coming up with new recipes is another art form for me.  I also enjoy taking an existing recipe and making it my own by adding my own touches. The following is a Pilaf that I came up with to accompany Roasted Chicken Breasts. I hope you will give it a try, and enjoy .

1 tblsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 small Onion, finely diced
1 cup Quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz. can Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 tsp. Garam Masala
1 tsp French Tarragon, dried
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Slivered Almonds, toasted

Heat Olive Oil in a medium sauce pan. Add diced onion and cook over medium heat until tender, slightly carmelized. Add in Quinoa, French Tarragon and Garam Masala and toast over the heat for approx. 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the Raisins. Continue to simmer until the liquid is completely absorbed and the Quinoa is tender. Finally, toss in the toasted almonds.

Enjoy this side dish and reap the benefits of healthy eating as well. Quinoa, is actually a relative to leafy green vegetables. It is in fact, a complete protein, as it has all nine amino acids necessary for building muscle. It is a marvelous fiber source and has anti-oxidant properties. All of this, with a wonderful nutty flavor. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails