Sunday, February 5, 2012

This River of Life


It has always been my practice to go to nature when I need reflection and a better understanding of myself and this life that surrounds me. I have spent many days hiking trails and taking pictures, writing words, thinking about how I fit in to the grand scheme of things.  The irony is, it is there, in nature, that I fit best. I wrote the following reflecting back on the pictures I took.  

This river of life runs without a ribbon of restraint             
 Surging forward across space and time.
Steadfastly flowing, carving out a pathway

                                                                                A basin forged and thrust forward with exciting abandon.
Life and persona adorned with treasures gathered from nature’s  banks.  
Adulterated, eroding, but enriching existence along it’s watery  way.
At water’s first calm,
a bedrock of character is exposed.

Sunlight reflecting  temperament with crystalline clarity.
A sheath of stillness displaying  pebbles of truth.
Such is my humanity, raw, yet open,  
Exposed to  rapids churning
 with every flow of energy and life force.  
The flow becomes tumultuous with any resistance , rapidly foaming, evading
Indiscriminate in the erosion of landscape that impedes it’s course.
Then water
falls,                  
                                                                                                            
and breaks into effervescent possibilities.                                 
 Positive, and enriched by an efficacious undertow.

Again,  giving way to the respite of waters deep,
flooding with thoughts and emotion,

carrying me upstream.  

In this way, I am navigating the watery path cut out for me and by me.
I have put to bed the difficult bends of a river spun out of control.
Solace is found in the free flowing splendor of knowing myself.
 Though I know not where I am flowing,



this river of life runs without a ribbon of restraint……

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails