Saturday, April 2, 2011

Warm and Lovin' From the Oven / Banana Bread



Happy Weekend! Just a quick post to share my recipe for Banana Bread ! I LOVE this recipe because the bread, warm from the oven, has a crispy outside....but a warm, soft inside.... and, as you'll soon see... there is one ingredient that I add that makes a huge taste difference.... Have a couple Bananas hanging in the kitchen? Well what are you waiting for! Pop THIS in the oven and have a nice Breakfast in bed with your Sweetheart :)


1 3/4 Cups Flour
2 tsps. Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/3 cup Shortening ( I use Butter Crisco)
2/3 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Almond Extract ( this adds flavor and aroma that blends so well with the Banana! )
2 Eggs ( beaten)
1 cup ripe Bananas ( I generally toss in 2 Bananas that I have sliced)
1 cup chopped Walnuts (optional - but I would never omit these!... the crunch of these just adds to the happiness)

Spray a Bread Pan with cooking spray. Set aside. Chop Walnuts, if adding . Combine all  ingredients, except for the Walnuts. Mix with a Stand or Hand Mixer. The use of a mixer is , in my opinion, important. It aerates the batter a little, making it nice and fluffy. Once mixed, fold in the Walnuts. Add batter to Bread Pan and bake at 350 ' for approx. 1 hr. ( Your baking time will vary, of course, depending on how powerful your oven is. I always  keep an eye on the bread, and use my Grandma's old tried and true insert toothpick test, once I see a golden brown crust form on the bread. Once the toothpick comes out dry.... it's time to gnosh!

3 comments:

Nancy's WildWire said...

Love banana bread! Pretty blog,nice to meet a sister Uwib:)

OliveStreetStudio said...

I have to copy this recipe - I love banana bread, but have never made it from scratch.....looks delicious!

Paper Squid said...

This looks really delicious. I'll be making this soon and keeping the recipe, (I love baking, but cooking is another question).
Thanks :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails