Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Grateful Sapling/ Tribute to Happiness Personified


 Last week I lost someone so dear to me. My beloved Aunt Mary passed away after having lived a long and loving life. She was, for me, a great role model for the kind of woman that I wanted to be as I grew up. I valued being a part of her life, not for things that she gave me, but for what she showed me life could be. Not in terms of vocation, but something much more basic and more important.  She was a happy person. And happiness, in my opinion, is highly undervalued. Kind of taken for granted as a given. Take a moment to reflect on the people in your life who radiate happiness in what they say and do. Don't you feel drawn to them? Yet, we really don't stop to think why we are drawn to them and celebrate that with them.  

 When I was with Aunt Mary, I knew happiness. And there are a million happy things to miss about being with her. The minute my sister and I were with her, she would get out her dresses and let us play dress up. She would tweak our outfits with belts, jewelry, .......let us put on makeup. We would put on her Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck records and we would dance around together! Aunt Mary loved goodies! And she always had cake or pie or cookies at the ready. There was always a bowl of candy in her house. She loved snuggly stuffed animals and dolls. She loved animals and picking flowers. She was never short on smiles and laughter. Most importantly, when we were with her, we felt so loved. When she wasn't hugging us literally, we felt hugged just by the way she looked at us, or smiled at us. She was a woman who never lost sight of the joy and happiness that you can derive from the little things. There was a child like quality about her, in that she didn't allow herself to become hardened and jaded over her years of growing into womanhood. And what a gift I received to have had that role model. I'm a grateful sapling for sure. And everytime I play with jewelry, dance to a record, eat goodies, hug dolls and animals, pick flowers..and yes, even smile, .....I will be reminded of who taught me the value of happiness. And just as I will never let go of the memory of her...I will never let go of living my life with happiness in it. I have her to thank. And the satisfaction of knowing that I was sure to tell her, and thank her and celebrate it with her when I had the chance.  

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a glorious and loving tribute to your Aunt Mary. I'm sure she's "up there" telling everyone what a wonderful niece she has in you.

My best to you and your family,
Bonnie

Lesley said...

She sounds and looks a lovely person and the gift of being able to be happy and take pleasure in life is one which will never leave you.
You will be missing her so much, hope you are ok.
Lesley x

pamwares said...

kirsten....sorry to hear you lost your aunt mary! She is a cute little lady! Your memories are always there so use them to be a better person and to share with everyone. That will leave a long lasting memory for everyone you meet.

Kirsten said...

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts. I feel sure that she will never really be far from me, as she has left an indelible mark on my life. That says alot about the person that she was. I appreciate you all. xo

Audrey said...

Kirsten,
What a touching memorial to such a fine and important woman in your life. I hurt with you in your loss and rejoice with you in what she shared with you. My Grandmother Lois was very much like your Aunt Mary and I miss her much. I look forward to the day when we meet again.
Peace, comfort and blessings to you.
Audrey

ritascreativenest said...

Kirsten, What a remarkable woman your aunt was! You are blessed for having had her in your life and for having the wisdom of understanding how much influence she had - and will continue to have - on your life and your character.

Maria Soto Robbins said...

That is a wonderful tribute, Kirsten, so beautifully written from the heart. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Paper Squid said...

Wow, this was really really touching. I could feel your love and appreciation for her. It's so true that when one can remain happy and be a bright light throughout peoples lives like she was to you, (no matter what the hardships), is such a wonderful thing and person to appreciate. Hugs to you.
Best,
Karyna

Kirsten said...

Thank you all so very much. I am truly blessed to have friends like you.

trusk4u said...

Isn't it wonderful to have people like this in our lives? They give us so much and usually never realize what a great impact they've had in our lives.Enjoy your wonderful memories and when you feel down, just see the big smile that is in your heart !

Gale said...

So, so sorry for your loss! She seems like a dear, beautiful woman!

What I stopped by today for (to invite you to my blog party for my followers) seems silly and irrelevant in light of this. I'm finding that a lot as I visit my followers blogs...lost loved ones, new babies, life is so much more important than all this other stuff we do. But I'll leave a link anyways...

http://scribbleprints.blogspot.com/2010/10/101-followers-party-time-to-celebrate.html

Kirsten said...

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments. I appreciate your kindness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails