Monday, September 6, 2010


“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”  Maya Angelou

Recently, on a walk through my community, I discovered a  large number of gorgeous Black Swallowtails. They were enjoying the pollen of the Bottlebrushes planted along the entrance. I often walk with my camera because, where I live,  there is always something wonderful to be seen in the wetlands.  Most of the butterflies were being their elusive selves, as I tried to capture their beauty with my lens. I would tip toe into place to take a picture or pull their image in with my lens.....and off they would go.........to the next flower..!!! Bugger! ... But one little butterfly evidently loved the attention and posed for me to my heart's content!

I was not only taken with her beauty, but also with her spirit of adventure in allowing me to photograph her. She didn't seem at all alarmed at how close I had gotten and just hovered in front of my camera, as if encouraging me to photograph her. How thrilling! Not only was she adventurous, but she also remarkably shared the Bottlebrush she was enjoying, with a bee! And I thought, how wonderful to take that lesson with me. And how wonderful to believe that there can be change in our world someday. To believe that a day can come when we can all share this planet we live on with each other, with a sense of adventure, and with civility and respect for the beautiful differences we may have and the common humanity that we share.


3 comments:

Heidi at MyBeadTherapy said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful sentiment!
Heidi (@MyBeadTherapy)

Maria Soto Robbins said...

Lovely pictures! How nice that you were able to capture her and share that.:)

Paper Squid said...

Great photos, so lovely. I agree, a wonderful sentiment; I truly think the world in general is constantly changing and improving, though there definitely seems some large (very large) bumps. :)

-Karyna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails