Monday, February 1, 2010

Keeping Warm and Cozy, Grandma Barosi Style!


It has been one chilly winter this year…. I think most of us are in need of some warmth and comfort…..even here in Florida!! So I thought that I would share a little tutorial on a recipe for some lovely warming comfort food! Let’s celebrate the beauty of tomato! Grandma Barosi style! My husband’s Gram used to make this for us when we would visit PA. And she showed me how to make it….but did you ever notice how our wonderful Grandmas, aside from being great cooks, they never really follow recipes! ? They are amazing!! Nevertheless, my dear Mother-in Law translated how to make this, into a format I could work with…..

Pasta Fagioli

Fill an approx. 4 1/2 qt. pot  half way with water. Bring water to a rapid boil. Then add  1/2 of a 1 lb. box of Ditalini pasta.



Meanwhile, in a fying pan, saute chopped onion and garlic in olive oil, on low heat until transluscent- I like to do this just until the onion is slightly carmelized as it releases the sweetness in the onion.



Open an 8 oz. can of Cannellini (Northern White) Beans, drain and rinse in cool water. Drain excess water and then carefully add the beans to the frying pan with the Onion and Garlic mixture.





Then add to the frying pan mixture one 6 oz. can of tomato paste. Add a little bit of the pasta water to loosen the paste.



Then add one 15 oz. can of Tomato sauce. to the frying pan mixture. Add fresh ground pepper, dried oregano, dried sweet basil and parmesan cheese to the mixture to your taste. (a few shakes of this, a few shakes of that! Don't worry about it !- the soup police won't be after you!! ) Cover the mixture with a lid and cook for 20 min. on low heat.



When the pasta is done cooking, carefully add the tomato mixture right into the pasta and water. ( if you are working on a gas stove, I would remove the water pot from the burner with the flame temporarily for this step.)  Then let simmer for about 20 minutes or so to let all of the natural goodness blend and cook through. (Don't be afraid to add a little more water to the soup if you feel you need to)



You’re set! Now all you have to do is just go light a candle on your dinner table and have a lovely cozy meal with your sweetheart! Buon Appetito !!

13 comments:

Emma said...

Mmmm.. Looks delicious!! :)

Kirsten said...

Thanks so much Emma...... So glad you stopped by.... :) Welcome....

elizabethrosasjewelry said...

I love pasta fagioli, thanks for the recipe.

Molly Smith said...

Thanks for this recipe. My gosh it is 9:00 in the morning and it sounds delicious for right now! lol Great pics too :)

Have a wonderful (warmer) weekend!

Adorebynat said...

Mmm...mmm...looks so yummy, the kind of warm the heart home cooked meal! Thanks for the recipe!

shadygardener said...

My husband loved this soup when we had it at Olive Garden. I can't wait to try your recipe this week! Thanks so much for sharing it! You have a beautiful blog--so much variety! I found you through Linkreferral, and I'll be following. Also, I'm leaving you a great review on Linkreferral. Thanks so much!!

Kirsten said...

Thank you Ladies! I hope that you enjoy the soup! Our Gram would be so pleased..... I think of her every time I make it.... :)

Audrey said...

That looks yummy!! I'm hoping to make cream of cauliflower soup for lunch today. Hopefully I have time :)
I love to get up early - it's the only quite time I have all day.
Have a great Sunday!!

Melissa B. said...

Yummy! We sure could use some of this to warm up after 26 inches of snow. Only trouble is, how to get to the store...SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

Grandpa & Jackie's Excellent Adventure

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

awesome recipe!! I am making that!! I use dried beans usually and this will be perfect for soup!!

Empress Jade said...

Hi, I found your blog on "Linked Within" and I'm so glad I found you.

I'm trying hard to add more beans to my diet and this recipe looks yummy. Can't wait to try.

XOXO Empress
http://empressjadevintage.blogspot.com/

Lynda said...

This looks like a lovely, hearty meal - thanks for sharing the recipe and the step-by-step pictures are always a great help. too ! Re. a previous post - I love that you found notes written to you by your daughter so many years ago. I do the same thing, & it's always a lovely surprise when you find them ! Thanks, too, for your visits to my blog ....
Lynda, Kilimanjaro, East Africa

Kirsten said...

I'm so glad that our precious Gram's recipe will become a part of so many of your kitchens! Grandma would be so excited!! She was a 'salt of the earth' little Italian lady who took great pride and pleasure in welcoming family and friends to her dining table! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails