Saturday, January 16, 2010

Moving Past the Economic Riptides


I was looking over some wonderful photos, of the beaches we’ve been to, this morning. I had taken them on our vacations and weekend excursions. I love going to the beach! It’s so inspiring, relaxing and renewing to just enjoy the surf, collect shells, walk with the sand between my toes. I’m so looking forward to Summer! I’ve resolved to get in the car more often to go and enjoy what is practically in my own back yard!

Anyway…. I started thinking about how the Ocean relates to the Economic trials that have come to bear on so many people. I have been very lucky. Things have gotten tighter for us, …..but nowhere near the devastation that I see going on around me. So many people losing their homes, jobs, businesses…… having their livelihood swept out from under them. I go in to stores and there is practically no one there. Less people in restaurants. I’ve also been noticing more fellow Etsians out on marketing websites lately- and I’m talking established sellers….. so, if they have been impacted, that doesn’t bode very well for a fledgling like me. But I totally believe that what the economic ‘tide’ takes out, it will again bring back. And if we are resilient and focused on pursuing what we love, a life full of treasures will come ashore.

Which leads me to the wisdom of William Shakespeare. I’ll explain. When I was growing up, my family had very little. But what we lacked in money, we made up for in hard work, resourcefulness and a positive attitude. As a teenager, I had committed to memory, a Shakespearean sonnet that really seemed to speak to how I was feeling about my life. It underscored my belief that there would be a better place and better life for me someday. All I had to do was work for it, pursue it and believe in myself. And I have to say… my life has played out just as I had wanted it to. My source of inspiration was Sonnet 56. For me, it conjures up the wonderful and hopeful vision of the Summer and the ocean and what life can be!

Sweet love, renew thy force; be it not said

Thy edge should blunter be than appetite,

Which but to-day by feeding is allay'd,

To-morrow sharpened in his former might:

So, love, be thou, although to-day thou fill

Thy hungry eyes, even till they wink with fullness,

To-morrow see again, and do not kill

The spirit of love, with a perpetual dullness.

Let this sad interim like the ocean be

Which parts the shore, where two contracted new

Come daily to the banks, that when they see

Return of love, more blest may be the view;

As call it winter, which being full of care,

Makes summer's welcome, thrice more wished, more rare.




I know that right now, for many…it seems like winter, and it looks like the tide will never come back to shore. But I’m proof that if you hold on long enough, believe in yourself, and stay focused on what you want to accomplish and what you love; the summer days at the beach will come and the tide will roll in with a lifetime of treasures. Hang in there. We’ll be basking in the sun in no time!

8 comments:

trusk4u said...

That was fabulous and oh so true. The tide will come around again and things will get better. we just have to hang in there and believe it! And, I love the clever title of this post!

Pretty Things said...

Very interesting!

Karin Grow said...

lovely post Kirsten. I totally agree. My husband was just layed off last week, but I'm staying positive. I just need to keep working hard and we will be fine.

Heather's Haven said...

Thanks for this wonderful post, its inspiring and encouraging and I really needed it this morning!

Audrey said...

Awesome Photos! Could use a chair on a beach somewhere right about now :)

Kirsten said...

Thank you for your lovely comments ladies! I hope that all will be well for you and yours....

Its So Very Cheri said...

Thanks for your sweet comments at Ucreate. I am signing up to follow you and would love it if you did the same.

We have the blessing of living near the Gulf here in Fl and we get to go to the beach and have sand between our toes more than the average person.

Cheri

Kirsten said...

Welcome Cheri! I look forward to following you as well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails